Underwriting Analyst - Minneapolis
- - Revenue - Customer Development
- Minneapolis, MN, USA
- Full Time
Bind was formed in 2016 by veteran health insurance innovators passionate about making health insurance personal - with the clarity, flexibility and power people deserve.
Want to move mountains?
Bind took the old model of health insurance apart and is rebuilding it - from floor to ceiling, from studs to rafters. We're not iterating a tired design or nudging a change-resistant industry, we're delivering what people want now - clear prices, timely support, personal choice and flexibility and an awesome, intuitive experience.
Where different wins.
Help build different and make a difference. Become a Binder and help us revolutionize health insurance.
Underwriting Analyst - Minneapolis
Prepares, analyzes, and tracks various information and data during the underwriting process. Receives information, reviews for accuracy and completeness, transforms data and monitors system details and communications to ensure efficiency.
- Prepares, analyzes, and processes information required for renewals, census, or related information; completes a variety of specific reports to support the underwriting process
- Validate underwriting data used for quote/renewal preparation
- Manipulation of census data to proper model format
- Evaluate current and future plan designs for groups throughout the underwriting process
- Send group data to stop loss carriers for quoting purposes
- Gather stop loss quotes and organize for comparison purposes
- Communicate with stop loss carriers for various purposes throughout the underwriting process including data clarification, proposal follow up, rate concessions and renewal information
- Prepares, reviews or tracks proposals, quotes, and related information to ensure a smooth process; presents results to management, proposals, and recommendations to management as required
- Assists with developing underwriting or cross-functional project or program objectives, which includes proposed budgets, timelines, materials, personnel, and other project requirements, receives direction, and presents information to management; may develop and manage some areas
- Interprets and applies department policies and procedures and assists with applicable laws, rules, and regulations; ensures process and operations compliance and receives guidance within these areas as needed
- Reviews and inputs plan design(s) to ensure accuracy, efficiency, and completeness
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Economics, or a related field
- One or more years of group underwriting experience within the insurance industry; or, other business fields providing a solid risk assessment foundation
- Fundamental principles, practices, and techniques of underwriting
- Awareness of the administration and oversight of underwriting programs, policies, and procedures
- Applicable laws, codes, and regulations
- Understanding of process improvement related to data management, transformation, and summary outputs to support a variety of internal and external reporting needs
- Use of Excel, or other tools to analyze large volumes of data and identify areas of improvement
- Ability to work independently and maintain a high level of initiative.
- Handle confidential information with discretion
- Manage multiple concurrent projects with firm deadlines
- Communicate effectively and build relationships at all levels of the organization
- Be flexible, adapt to change
- Perform professional-level underwriting duties
- Apply mathematical concepts or approaches in an organizational setting
- Identify trends and draw conclusions from large and complex datasets, including drill down analyses
- Review and administer various underwriting functions
- Serve as a team member and the development and management of projects
- Operate in a both a team and individual contributor environment
- Engage in analytical resolutions through data and processes
- Interpret, apply, and explain applicable laws, codes, and regulations
- Strong attention to detail and organization
- Prepare functionals reports, correspondence, and other written materials
- Use appropriate software applications or products, including advanced proficiency in MS Office, in particular Excel
- Use initiative and independent judgment within established department guidelines
- Experience in health insurance
- Start-up Experience
- Working in an ambiguous, fast-paced environment
- Agile, ready to change direction on the fly
What We're Offering
- Chance to join a new tech start-up aiming to fix the healthcare industry
- Empowerment to shape new solutions disrupting healthcare while providing benefits and choice to its members
- Flexible work-from-home schedule to support work-life balance
- Opportunity to work with people who are motivated to go to work every day and make a difference
- Equity, competitive pay, generous PTO, and the opportunity to be a part of a new health insurance plan powered by the consumer, you!
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere. Bind is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. Bind is a drug-free workplace.
Bind sponsors H-1B visas for current H-1B visa holders on a limited basis, other visa sponsorship not available.