Underwriting Lead - Minneapolis
- - Plan Design
- Minneapolis, MN, USA
- Full Time
Bind is a health technology and services company founded in 2016 and headquartered in Minneapolis, MN with satellite offices in New York and San Francisco. Bind is health insurance for the way we live now. Unlike traditional health insurance that charges you for services you may never need or want, Bind is on demand: pay for what you need, not what you don't, and adjust your coverage when those needs change. Health coverage that's flexible, clear, and intuitive.
We are creative, collaborative, and a little bit fiery. The Bind team is comprised of like-minded individuals passionate about healthcare, and our cause is the collective act of rewiring it. We embrace new ideas. We're more wheel than cog. More spark than smoke. And we are playful and venturesome in our daily mission to render real and refreshing solutions to health insurance that works better for us all.
Underwriting Lead - Minneapolis
Highly skilled, motivated, and experienced individual to orchestrate the vision, roadmap, and delivery of the Underwriting function at an innovative new health insurance company. Delivering these capabilities will require coordinating across several aspects of the organization. Focus, enthusiasm, and a dedication to excellence are all personal characteristics highly valued at Bind.
Our newly created Underwriting Lead is responsible for the underwriting strategy of the Company, collaborating on the development and maintenance of sound underwriting guidelines. Reporting to the Plan Design Lead, and working with functional areas including Sales, Actuarial, and Finance, the Underwriting Lead designs, implements, and monitors the underwriting activities for all of Bind's customer segments. The Underwriting Lead will regularly engage with Bind's reinsurance partners to develop best practices, solicit and negotiate quotes, and ensure competitiveness of stop loss proposals.
This role requires a driven, high-performing professional with the creative underwriting mind necessary to find solutions and foster innovation across multiple market segments, whether it be the use of a new technology to enhance underwriting efficiency, a new product, or a different distribution channel.
- Create and maintain underwriting guidelines for all customer segments
- Develop and implement underwriting best practices, communicating and coordinating with Bind's reinsurance partners
- Establish underwriting appetite, guidelines, forms, forms usage, terms and conditions, training, and communications
- Establish implementation, performance monitoring, and feedback loops
- Liaise with Actuarial, Finance, Sales, Marketing, and Operations
- Design and implement underwriting training programs to ensure that staff perform at the highest skill levels
- Ensure quality and compliance, including peer review, management review, and development and implementation of automated underwriting processes
- Exercise sound judgment in risk selection, exposure analysis, pricing and coverage in evaluating and approving or rejecting risk submissions
- Monitor and analyze underwriting performance and results for desired outcomes, including collaboration with Finance and Actuarial
- Monitor and communicate emerging underwriting issues relevant to Bind's current and future strategies
- Establish a deep understanding of Bind's product and technology capabilities in order to develop and articulate strategies that best serve our clients
- Work closely with Actuarial, Finance, and Corporate Development leads on program development with a focus on reinsurance risk
- Bachelor's degree or higher in a related field
- 5+ years of healthcare underwriting experience
- Deep understanding of healthcare underwriting and opportunities for technology-enabled efficiencies
- Proven and successful track record of leading high-performing teams through the successful delivery of underwriting results that positively impact business performance
- Proven success in articulating a vision and building processes, structures, and teams to support that vision
- Knowledge and experience in a healthcare environment with HIPAA requirements
- Ability to build relationships with mid-market, large, and/or national employers
- Ability to build a collaborative culture and relationships across the organization and with external strategic partners
- Ability to set realistic goals, manage expectations, and prioritize needs with competing interests
- Ability to organize and schedule people and tasks to develop realistic action plans
- Ability to identify key opportunities for action in an innovating environment that includes ambiguity and change
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities in a highly dynamic environment, with strong problem-solving skills and exceptional attention to detail
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to work in fast paced, dynamic organization
- Demonstrated results orientation and ability to execute on goals
- Experience working at a start-up is a plus
- Self-starter needing minimal direction
Bind is committed to providing equal employment opportunities. All qualified applicants and employees will be considered for employment and advancement without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, disability, age, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable law.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts